Saturday, September 15, 2007

She's Wearing A Skirt

My eldest daughter Isabelle used to wear nothing but dresses and skirts. At 3, if I even looked at pants at the store, I could see the warning clouds of a temper tantrum brewing in her eyes. Fluffy dresses, twirly dresses, pink dresses, tutus - you name it she wore it. And then, suddenly, it stopped. Once she started kindergarten, skirts became but a distant memory. She still liked to buy them once in a while, but would never wear them. I soon wised up to this scheme of hers - "mommy, I promise, I'll wear it!!!" -- and stopped purchasing them. Isabelle became a jeans and sweatpants girls and I was fine with that. Fortunately her little sister became the dress addict and my motherly urges for girliness were more than met by her.

Isabelle has been wearing pants for two years straight. No, I take that back, I forced her to wear a dress for Easter last year and lived to regret it. She made her unhappiness known, loudly, and embarrassingly in church several times that morning and as soon as we got home I let her change back into pants.

Today, a miracle occurred. Isabelle walked down the stairs this morning wearing a skirt. It's her little sister's, and is a tad too small. But she's wearing it.

She wants to look like Gabriella from High School Musical.

I wonder how long this will last?

1 comment:

TxGambit said...

Its a battle to get K in a skirt or dress. I used to dress her sooo cute! It all stopped about 1st grade or maybe 2nd.

:)